Official DPS Approved Drive Test
Cazares Driving School is authorized by the Texas Department of Public Safety to administer the "OFFICIAL DRIVE TEST" to any teen or adult who has completed either the Full Teen Drivers Ed Program or the Adult 6-hr Driver Ed Course. Full Teen Drivers Ed program (32 hours of classroom instruction and 14 hours of behind the wheel training).
Teens must also be at least 16 years of age and have held a valid permit for at least 6 months. On the back of the permit is the GDL (Graduated Driver License) Date. It states "Must hold permit until (date)". Teens can take the Drive Test on that date or any day after. Students 18 years of age and older will not have a GDL date listed on the back of the permit. Note: Students must renew their permit at 18 years of age to be eligible to take the Drive Test. Students from Cazares Driving School as well as students from all other commercial driving schools are welcome to test here at our facility.
As of September 1, 2014, Texas State Law requires all teens who complete a drivers ed program watch a MANDATORY 2 HOUR "Impact Texas Teen Drivers" (ITTD) video before taking the Official Drive Test.
Note: ITTD must be viewed after you have completed the Full Teen Driver Education Course. After completing the 2 hour video, the student must print out the certificate and parent must sign the video certificate.
Eligibility Requirements to take the Drive Test:
- Completed Teen Drivers Ed Program at Cazares Driving School or any commercial driving school (Final DE964 Green Certificate Issued)
- Teens who have a valid learners license for a minimum of 6 months (refer to the GDL date on the back of your license) and be 16 years of age.
- Completed 2 hour Impact Texas Teen Drivers class (ITTD) Click here to take the class online.
- To learn more about ITD online video click here.
Required items to bring to your Drive Test Appointment:
Please be sure to have to the following items at the time of your Drive Test. This will allow us to prepare your packet for DPS before your Drive Test.
- Valid Driving Permit
- Final DE 964 (Green Certificate Issued by your Driving School at the Completion of Drivers Ed).
- Proof of Vehicle Insurance must be shown at the time of Drive Test (if using your own vehicle). This must be in the form of an Insurance Card. Payment Receipts for insurance coverage are not an acceptable form of proof of insurance. If the insurance excludes drivers not listed on the policy, the student cannot use the vehicle for the Drive Test. Cazares vehicles are available for rental for the Drive Test.
- Completed 30 hour log signed by parent
- Payment: $85 for 3 Drive Test Opportunities in Our Cazares Driving School Vehicle or Your Vehicle (With Proof of Insurance)
- Copy of receipt if paid online
Upon passing the Drive Test , the examiner will issue the student a SEALED ENVELOPE containing the test results and other documentation required by DPS. Your final step is to take the following to DPS to get your license:
- SEALED Envelope from Cazares Driving School
- New VOE (Verification of Enrollment) from your high school attendance office. This VOE must be less than 30 days old or if issued during the last week of May, the VOE is valid for use all summer. You will not need a VOE if you are 18 years of age or older.
- Completed 30 hour log signed by parent.
- License Fee for the DPS $16 if under 18 or $25 if 18 years of age or older. (Credit/Debit, Cash, Checks or Money Orders). Please note that the owner of the credit card must be present for payment.
Your Examiner will inspect your vehicle for the following:
- Proof of Insurance
- Current Vehicle Registration and Inspection (US Registered Vehicle with Texas License Plates)
- Front and Back License Plates
- Head Lights (Operational)
- Blinkers (Operational)
- Brake Lights (Operational)
- Horn (Operational)
- Headlights Operational at Dusk
Students who purchase the option of using a Cazares Driving School Vehicle for the Official Drive Test are waived from this inspection. There is a $10 Fee to rent a Cazares Vehicle for your Drive Test.